Making a decision about kitchen island pendants can be daunting.
To add to the pressure, they contribute quite a bit to the overall look of your kitchen. We’re here to shamelessly plug one of our favorite materials that we’re seeing a lot more of these days – rattan lighting.
Arlyn Hernandez of the popular design website Apartment Therapy says, “Whether or not you realize it, we’re living in a rattan renaissance with no signs of the trend fading… not that we’d want it to.”
We’ve been writing about trending themes such as cozy, organic and coastal, and rattan, which hits every one of these design notes.
Where rattan lighting used to be associated with a more bohemian look, it now plays a role in many styles including but not limited to farmhouse, coastal, mountain modern, and even mid-century. It has many looks because it adds sophistication, warmth, and texture with its organic woven pattern. Also, rattan fixtures offer a special quality of light.
5 Rattan Lighting Ideas for Your Kitchen Island
Here are five favorite rattan pendant lighting ideas that will look fabulous hanging over your kitchen island, breakfast nook, or anywhere else in your house that needs an elegant boost!
Although there are hundreds of places to source rattan lighting, we wanted to curate this list to reflect different styles and price points. Some are traditional, whimsy, geometric, or organic. All are on trend and ready to elevate your space.
- The Paloma by West Elm. This three tiered geometric rattan pendant is a great way to make a graphic statement. The satin brass hardware adds warmth. It’s also tightly woven, which casts a straw-like glow in your space. While you are on the West Elm site, check out the Rattan Weave Pendant. It offers a totally different take on rattan pendant lighting.
- Cabo Light (Large and Small) by Crate and Barrel. The large version of the Cabo is a shade darker than The Paloma. It’s also made of woven rope material that’s in a traditional dome shape. The smaller version has the same material, but in a lantern shape. However, both versions are gorgeous, offering a very textural look.
- Headlands pendant by Serena and Lily. This rattan light fixture has a refined look that’s oh so elegant. It’s light and airy, but has artisanal work. There is also a depth to it. One single light illuminates the rattan detailing, casting a fun pattern throughout the room.
- IKEA’s Misterhult is a traditional shape with a modern twist. The bottom is a tightly woven rattan, so it adds some grounding. The top features a criss-crossed pattern that casts a playful shadow in the room. This is one of the more affordable options pricing out at $74.99. While you’re on the IKEA site, check out the Sinnerlig pendant. It’s like The Paloma from West Elm, but at a lower price.
- Wayfair’s Helsinki by Bayou Breeze is a traditional dome shape with a tighter weave. It’s perfect for a space where you want downward facing light. When searching on Wayfair, over 300,000 different rattan lights popped up in the search. There are so many options on this site but the sheer numbers of products can be overwhelming. When you search, add “Bayou Breeze” after “rattan pendants” to see a more curated list. Bayou Breeze has amazing rattan lighting – so set aside time to shop!
Also Read: 10 Ways to Bring “Cozy” Into Your Kitchen
Transform Your Space with Rattan Lighting
We hope this is a good starting point for your search for the perfect rattan lights for your kitchen or home. And remember, don’t just think of rattan in a classic straw color. Many rattan fixtures have a sprayed black or white look for some drama. You can also stain them to look darker and warmer.
Rattan Pendant lighting above your kitchen island really serve as spotlights that shine down on your beautiful countertops! Swing by our showroom to see all the beautiful materials for yourself and get expert advice on tiles, paint colors, lighting, and of course countertops!